i’m not even confused about my sexuality i just don’t really give a shit
I feel like very few, or at least not many of the people of tumblr are aware of what is going on in my home country Hong Kong right now.
You guys gave alot of coverage and support when Scotland was voting for its independance, so I’m hoping you’ll all support the people of Hong Kong as well.
Right now, many of us are in a mass demonstration of pro-democracy against China. But wait a sec, isn’t Hong Kong China? This is a big misconception amongst foreigners, but please, we are far from being similar to China at all.
A little history class: Hong Kong used to be colonized by the British, and before you white-knights begin going all “them damn white racist ppl taking over another asian country” please don’t. We are thankful Britain took us under its wing and instilled in us values that I feel made us what we are today; that is, a democratic people with respect for free speech, amongst many things.
On the other hand, China is communist, with government controlled media and news. Google, instagram, facebook and many tv shows are blocked in China. It really is just a few steps from North Korea imo.
So what’s the problem here? Britain unfortunately had to hand back Hong Kong to China, but one of the requirements is that Hong Kong be allowed to operate as ‘one country two systems’, meaning Hong Kong should be able to have its own democratic government. But China has broken its promise. A while back, China tried to put a mandatory ‘national education’ curriculum in all our primary schools. We all know what that is; a communist brainwashing regime. And now, they have announced that in 2017 Hong Kong will be able to vote for its president; BUT only from 3 candidates hand picked by its PRO-BEIJING legislation.
As you can see, China is trying to takeover completely and turn us into another communist state.
Of course, we have taken to the streets. In a mirror if the Tiananmen protests, students have also stepped up to fight for our rights and our future, albeit in a peaceful protest of course. But the police force who have always been a friend of the people, are now responding with force, something that had never been done before in Hong Kong.
First it was pepperspray, then teargas. Then, armed forces came in qith rubber bullets. They warn they will come out with live ammunition soon if we do not get off the streets but the people continue to sit tight, disrupting businesses China so strive to takeover and make use of. It’s been 2 days now, but the people plan to continue at least till 1st October or even beyond. The significance is that October 1st is China’s National day, not ours, Hong Kong has not been granted it’s own National day.
Please spread the news. This is a country we’re talking about. These are my people.
You can join this event to wear yellow in support of my people on October 1st.
Just to add on- Hong Kong is one of the rare examples where it did kind of end up being better off under colonial rule. And before I get jumped on for being a neo-colonialist- I’m saying that as a person with Chinese ancestry whose great grandparents left China because of the accumulated poor situation caused by the Opium Wars and political strife in the early 1900s. Do not dichotomise conflicts outside the world as “White people oppressing POC”. Yes Chinese people have been victims at the hands of the British, then the Japanese- but today the Chinese government is culpable in corruption and human rights abuses- even against its own citizens in the mainland. There were thousands of disturbances last year in China over various issues like land grabs, corruption and pollution. The government has also been oppressing ethnic minorities like the Tibetans and Muslim Uighurs. What you see happening here in Hong Kong is another pattern in the behaviour of an authoritarian government that really needs to be held more accountable.
Yes, the Opium Wars fucked China up, but the Communists really ruined the country during the 1950s onwards with the disastrous Great Leap Forward. There was a horrible famine caused by state mismanagement- and by the end of it all, it’s estimated anywhere from 18 million to 45 million Chinese died. Far more than died in WW2. And then of course, the infamous Cultural Revolution where there were basically witch-hunts which just caused enormous upheaval and strife, where people were “outed” as “bourgeois” or capitalists or whatever and imprisoned, tortured and publicly humiliated. University students and professors were accused of being traitors. Even the Communist Party today acknowledges it was a complete disaster. While all of this was going on, by comparison, Hong Kong flourished under British rule.
The China you see today that is the world’s second largest economy is a product of Deng Xiaoping’s reform in the 1970s- which involved throwing out huge parts of the Communist economic policies to embrace capitalism- and putting a stop to the blind and rigid adherence to Communist ideology. Economically, China is in many ways very open to capitalism BUT politically, the government is pretty authoritarian still. And quite capable of oppression.
Do not lionise the Chinese government as this heroic “POC” country standing up to “white supremacy”, give them a free pass, or somehow think whatever they do cannot be as bad as Western imperialism. People with my skin colour are perfectly capable of oppression when they have institutional power. And they darned well better be called out for it.
Tim Burton received this handmade cake from his animation team and it’s basically the coolest shit ever.
OKAY. OKAY. WHAT THE UNHOLY HELL. OH GOD I’M SO MAD. HANG ON LOOK, KEEP READING THIS AND I PROMISE I’LL BE MORE CALM.
In 2012, a 17-year-old boy named T.J. Lane killed three fellow classmates in a school shooting, and was sentenced to life in jail. But wait, that’s not the worst part. This kid pulled a few nasty stunts to really show how much of a pathetic monstrosity he is. In the courtroom during his trial, he took off his more formal clothing to reveal a white undershirt with the word “KILLER” crudely written on it. He was smiling and laughing while the case progressed through the day. And to top it off, when he was finally sentenced [to life in prison], he turned to the families of the victims he killed, and said, “This hand that pulled the trigger that killed your sons now masturbates to the memory. F—- all of you,” before flicking them off. As if this sick waste of human life couldn’t get any more disgusting.
AND NOW, FOR THE DAMN KICKER: This vile animal has somehow managed to fucking escape prison with a fellow inmate, and is currently on the run. I urge any and all of you to spread this info around and be fully aware of the tragedy this vermin has caused. He must be found and apprehended as soon as possible, and if I’ve made anyone more aware, I’ve helped this cause.
I WANT HIM OFF THE STREETS AND AWAY FROM EVERY OTHER HUMAN BEING. YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND HOW INFURIATED I AM. I APOLOGIZE FOR ANY OBSCENE LANGUAGE BUT I’M PISSED OFF AT THE AMERICAN JUSTICE SYSTEM AND THIS IS ONLY ANOTHER NAIL IN THE COFFIN.
UPDATE: As of 1:20am local time on Friday morning, T.J. Lane was recaptured near the correctional institute. His two fellow escaped inmates were captured soon after. I’m still slightly confused as to how any of this happened (the link says they built a makeshift ladder, but doesn’t give info on how they managed to avoid being caught), but I am SO relieved that all three inmates that escaped are back behind bars.
Anonymous asked: “What good happened in 2014?!”
- ALS ice bucket challenge helps raise millions of dollars
- india finally knocked down the trashiest and most corrupt government ever by coming together and voting in the world’s largest election + the first election where india offered third gender recognition
- the wedding ceremony during the grammy awards
- afghan women defy taliban and exercise their right to vote
- team work helps save man whose leg was wedged between the train tracks
- the rise of laverne cox which has helped shed light on transgender issues that have been ignored for so long + janet mock being another great idol in the battle + this + im sorry she’s just so amazing
- young adult fiction by trans authors + release of tfios featuring both the main characters living with disabilities
- the oscars were brilliant this year. a lesbian host. the record breaking selfie. and let’s not forget 12 years a slave winning the oscar for best supporting actress (lupita!) and best picture making history as the first movie from a black director to win the film industry’s highest honor in 86 years.
- the brilliant idea of solar roadways + the money it raised
- pope francis and dalai lama both voice support for lgbtq community
- #YesAllWomen raising awareness on sexism and misogyny + #AllMenCan stand up for women + #LikeAGirl + #BringBackOurGirls + (X) + more feminism because why not
- Legalization of same-sex marriage: England and Wales (13 March), Oregon (19 May), Pennsylvania (20 May), Illinois (1 June)
- + united nations release bollywood music video of an indian gay wedding
- brazil and india ban animal testing of cosmetics
- 8-year-old claudia burkill is the first person in the world to beat brain cancer
- 12-year old shubham banerjee invents braille printer using lego sets
- reading rainbow and the representation project
- so many amazing and positive music videos encouraging you to love yourself (like this and this)
- this amazing man who was a part of the ferguson protests + volunteers taking up teaching children so that they dont miss out on their education + basically humanity coming together for justice (this is so important because these issues are finally getting the attention they deserve which is so important to help discover the root of the problem in order to wipe it out completely)
- starbucks to provide free college ed
- social media in general has become such a major platform for fighting back against stereotypes and oppression (X) (X) (X) (X)
- major 2014 movies with female directors
- lucy li becomes youngest qualified player to ever play in the U.S. Women’s Open.
- harvey milk: first openly gay politician to grace stamp
- raju the elephant is finally rescued after 50 years of torture and abuse
- in more lighter, pop culture-related news: destiny’s child reunion. hilary duff’s comeback. bryan cranston and aaron paul’s reunion. katherine heigl and kate walsh returning to television. jimmy fallon’s new show also kickstarted this year and has been amazing so far. oh oh and also THIS.
- there’s a whole lot more but it’s 4 am right now and i need to get some sleep. i do acknowledge all the horrific and tragic events that have taken place this year, don’t get me wrong. but i also believe it’s very unhealthy to concentrate on the negative all the time and people should be encouraged to celebrate the good too. life is too short to not live in the moment. so i hope this helped you feel better, thank you for your question! (ﾉ◕ヮ◕)ﾉ*:･ﾟ✧
THANK YOU SO MUCH
listening to christian fundamentalists gossip about who is no longer going to church so that they can pray for them to come back to jesus, while also repeatedly calling them sinners and shaming them for making autonomous decisions about their life….
1 day ago · 4 notes
Seriously, Rugrats was not fucking around.
People don’t give Rugrats enough credit for how progressive it was. I mean think about it.
- Chuckie, for most of the series is raised by a single father
- Angelica’s mother was a high ranking corporate executive
- Phil and Lil’s mom was a feminist
- She also breastfed them (which the show actually depicted)
- Tommy is half-Jewish and the show actually explored this part of his heritage
Seriously, this show was fucking amazing!! They just don’t make ‘em like this anymore….
Also don’t forget that Chuckie had an interracial family after the second movie.
How are you guys forgetting Susie? I mean her mom was a doctor and her dad was a writer for a famous Children’s TV show. Not to mention Kimmie was anything BUT submissive.
Remember when they had episodes that hit hard to issues kids might be dealing with? Chuckie only had his Dad on Mothers Day, Tommy had to deal with being outshadowed by a new baby brother, Phil and Lil were constantly being mixed up and then they had a couple episodes where they each found that even as a twin they were their own people.
Man Rugrats was the shit.